Pre-wrap for Hairstyles
Pre-wrap, also known as underwrap, traditionally serves as a soft and comfortable barrier between athletic tape and the athlete’s skin when a trainer tapes up his or her injuries. It is designed to keep the tape from chafing and sticking to the athlete’s skin. For years if not decades, athletes have been swiping strips of pre-wrap and using them as headbands to keep their hair out of their eyes and off their faces while playing sports. College athletes, teenage athletes, soccer players, softball players, field hockey players, runners and just about any female athletes around enjoy the look and feel of pre-wrap in their hair before, during and after an athletic event.
Pre-wrap is colorful, easy to use, affordable, and best of all, it works. Foamy and stretchy, the pre-wrap material sticks to itself, which means it doesn’t slip like normal headbands. This makes it ideal for use as an inexpensive, versatile headband. You can purchase pre-wrap at most sporting goods stores and online. Pre-wrap is sold in rolls for about $2 or $3, where just one roll can equate to 50 or more headbands!
Most athletic leagues prohibit the use of hair accessories with the exception of elastic ponytail holders. Many leagues, however, permit the use of pre-wrap.
How to use pre-wrap as a headband:
Using pre-wrap as a headband is quick and easy, and takes only seconds. Follow these steps to get your hair ready for the game:
1. Grab your favorite color of pre-wrap, or your team colors.
2. Quickly wrap the pre-wrap around your head to measure.
3. Tear off a strip at the appropriate length.
4. Grab one end of the pre-wrap in each hand.
5. Roll a bit between your fingers on each end.
6. Tie a simple knot with both ends.
7. Put your pre-wrap on like a regular headband.
8. Go out there, look great and WIN!
How to use pre-wrap without a knot:
As soft as velvet, pre-wrap can stick to itself without sticking to other materials. While most leagues allow the use of pre-wrap, some may specify that the pre-wrap cannot be knotted. You can easily create a pre-wrap headband without ever tying a knot…just follow these simple directions!
1. Grab your favorite color of pre-wrap.
2. In a lunge position, wrap it around your thigh.
3. Wrap it around two or three times.
4. Tear off at the appropriate length.
5. Start rolling the pre-wrap until it forms a tighter loop.
6. Roll your new headband down and off of your leg.
7. Put it on your head just like a normal headband. No knot!
Ideas for special and creative pre-wrap hairdos:
* Twist or braid two or more colors together for a fun and different look. Choose your favorite colors, your team colors or colors at random for a new style you and your friends will love.
* French braid the pre-wrap into your hair – especially if you use the double braids hairstyle above. Tear off a strip of pre-wrap and carefully twist the end around one of the three hair sections in your braid. Keep twisting and crossing the pre-wrap with that same hair section through the whole braid until you get to the end. Fasten the braid as usual. It may be easier if a friend or your mom can help you with this style.
* Instead of twisting and rolling the pre-wrap, wear it flat and wide like a decorative headband. You’ll be amazed at how it still keeps the hair off your face and neck!
* Make tiny bows with your favorite colors of pre-wrap or use teeny pieces to fasten the ends of your micro-braids.
* Get creative; the possibilities are endless!
Besides the basic natural tone, pre-wrap is available in black, blue, green, red, orange, purple, hot pink, light pink, lime green, maroon, and yellow/gold. Get psyched up with your team colors, choose your favorite hue or pick a shade based on your mood. Put on your game face, prepare to take on the competition and look great for your photos during the game!
We wear pre-wrap every day - not just on the court.
Pre-wrap is perfect to keep away fly-aways when wearing french braids. Our hot pink pre-wrap looks great in any color hair!
Some girls keep the pre-wrap flat and it looks more like a traditional headband. This is our red pre-wrap.